- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 dried red chile peppers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 pounds fresh spinach, torn
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- coarse sea salt to taste
- In a large saucepan heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and saute garlic, 1/2 tablespoon of ginger, red chilies (optional ingredient) and onion until brown. Mix in the cumin, coriander, turmeric and sour cream (add more or less to achieve desired creaminess). Add the spinach, handfuls at a time until it is cooked down, about 15 minutes total. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour spinach mixture into a blender or food processor and add the tomato, the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of ginger, and cilantro (add more or less according to taste). Blend for 15 to 30 seconds, or until the spinach is finely chopped. Pour back into the saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
- In a medium frying pan heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat, and fry cheese until browned; drain and add to spinach. Cook for 10 minutes on low heat. Season with salt to taste.
absolutely perfect palak paneer, Main Dish recipe