- 6 thick slices bacon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cups low fat, low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed potatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook bacon until crisp in 3-quart saucepan, remove and drain well on paper towels. Discard bacon grease and wipe pan thoroughly with paper towel.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Add olive oil to saucepan and add onion, carrot, and celery as they are cut up. Saute until onion is soft but not brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, potatoes, and pepper; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, heating just until melted--do not boil. Chop bacon and add to soup. Adjust seasoning to taste by adding salt, if desired. Serve at once.
bacon and potato soup, Potato Soup recipe