- 3 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place squash halves cut side down in baking pans. Fill pans with about 1/2 inch water. Bake squash 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender.
- While squash bakes, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place onions and celery in the skillet, and cook until tender. Stir in the sausage and thyme. Cook and stir until evenly brown.
- Remove squash from the oven, and carefully scrape the pulp from the rinds. Set rinds aside. Place the pulp in a bowl, and mash with a potato masher. Mix in the cooked sausage mixture, egg, bread crumbs, raisins, and pecans. Scoop into the reserved rinds. Set stuffed squash in the baking dishes.
- Bake 25 minutes in the 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven, until heated through.
baked stuffed winter squash, Stuffed Main Dishes recipe