- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Mix together shortening, sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 1/5 cups flour. Add warm water and beat by hand about 300 strokes, or 3 minutes, with an electric mixer. Add remaining flour, scraping bowl often, and mix all together until smooth.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let rise until doubled in volume.
- Stir dough down gently, and spoon into a lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pan (the batter should be sticky). Pat down with floured hands to help shape. Cover again, and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Place on a cooling rack, and brush top with melted butter.
batter white bread, White Bread recipe