- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 3 cups water, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chutney
- 6 almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 bay leaves
- Heat water in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and add the onion slices. Reduce heat and simmer until the onions appear translucent, 3 to five minutes. Remove the onions and finely chop them.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has browned slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 7x11-inch baking dish.
- Soak the slice of bread in the milk and gently squeeze out the milk; set the milk aside. Crumb the bread into a large mixing bowl. Mix bread together with ground beef, curry powder, 1 egg, sugar, salt, black pepper, turmeric, vinegar, chutney, almonds and raisins.
- Place the mixture the prepared baking dish. Insert the bay leaves into the meat. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Beat the remaining egg with 3 tablespoons of the drained milk. Pour over the meat and bake for another 30 minutes.
bobotie, Beef Meatloaf recipe