- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large leeks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 green onions, chopped (optional)
- Stir the bacon and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until the bacon has turned golden brown and released its grease, about 7 minutes. Add the butter, leeks, onion, and celery. Cook and stir until the leeks have softened, about 7 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, potatoes, herbes de Provence, coriander, fennel, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are just beginning to turn tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, and simmer 5 minutes. Add the milk, and continue simmering until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper; sprinkle with chopped green onions to serve.
broccoli, leek, and potato soup, Potato Leek Soup recipe