- 2 pounds calamari, cleaned
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup Chianti wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- Separate the tentacles from the long body of the calamari, if not done already. Slice the body, or calamari tubes into rings about 1/2 to 2/3 inch thick, set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine tomato sauce, red wine, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, basil, and cheese. Simmer on medium low for about 30 minutes to give the alcohol in the wine time to evaporate, and all the flavors time to blend.
- Add the calamari to the sauce. Continue to slowly simmer for about another 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Calamari is done when it is plump and more opaque. Do not cook on higher heat or for a longer period, as calamari is famous for becoming rubbery.
calamari in red wine and tomato sauce, Seafood recipe