- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed buttery round crackers
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in a large pot. Add cauliflower and carrots, and boil for about 7 minutes, until fork tender. Drain well, and transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- While the vegetables are cooking, combine the egg yolks, salt, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce in a blender or food processor. Blend for a few seconds to mix, then continue to blend while slowly pouring in 1/2 cup of hot melted butter. Continue blending until thickened. Pour this sauce over the vegetables in the baking dish. Stir together the cracker crumbs and remaining butter; sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the casserole is bubbling, and the top is toasted. Let cool slightly before serving.
cauliflower and carrot casserole, Casseroles recipe