- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 pound Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown and crumbled. Drain, excess fat, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Add cooked beef, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- In a 9x13 inch casserole dish, layer 1/2 of the pasta, 1/2 of the meat sauce, 1/2 of the sour cream and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover, and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
cheese and pasta in a pot, Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe