- 2 cups chestnuts
- 1 1/2 cups margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 (1 pound) loaves day-old bread, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- With a sharp knife, cut slits in the surface of the chestnuts. Place chestnuts in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook 25 minutes, or until tender. Drain, peel, and chop.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in chestnuts, onion, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning, and cook until onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium baking dish, and mix with the cubed bread.
- In a small bowl, beat together eggs and milk, and drizzle over the cubed bread mixture.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until surface is crisp and lightly browned.
chestnut stuffing, Vegetarian Stuffing and Dressing recipe