- 3 dried ancho chiles
- 6 dried guajillo chiles
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup corn oil, divided
- salt to taste
- 6 skinless chicken legs, separated into thighs and drumsticks,
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- Remove the stems, seeds, and membranes from the ancho chiles and guajillo chiles, then soak in hot water until softened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Remove the stems from the tomatoes, then cut a shallow X on the bottom. Drop the tomatoes into the water, and cook uncovered until the skin begins to peel off, about 30 seconds. Drain in a colander, then immediately immerse in ice water for several minutes until cold to stop the cooking process. Once the tomatoes are cold, peel the skin off. Drain chiles and transfer to a blender along with the peeled tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chicken broth. Blend until smooth.
- Heat 1/2 of the corn oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the chile mixture, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt. Heat the remaining corn oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken legs in 2 batches and remove from the skillet.
- Stir the chorizo into the same skillet; cook and stir until the chorizo is evenly browned. Drain any excess oil and stir in 1 cup of the chile sauce. Return the chicken to the skillet, along with the remaining chile sauce. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking until chicken is tender, 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
chicken with red chile sauce and sausage (pollo con salsa rojo y chorizo), Chicken Thighs recipe