- 1 (4 pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Coat the chuck roast with garlic salt, pepper and mustard powder. Heat the oil in a large oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the roast and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 3 cups of water, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger and celery seed. Pour over the roast and then cover the roast tightly with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the roast is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- When the roast is done, remove it from the pan to a serving plate. Set the pan of drippings over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir together cornstarch and 1/4 cup of cold water. Pour into the boiling liquid and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Serve the roast with the gravy poured over.
chinese pot roast, Roasts recipe