- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) beef tri-tip roast
- Mix together the salt, garlic salt, celery salt, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, dill, sage, and rosemary in a bowl. Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.
- Use a damp towel to lightly moisten the roast with water, then pat with the prepared rub. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, up to overnight, for the flavors to fully come together.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Place the roast onto the preheated grill and quickly cook until brown on all sides to sear the meat, then remove. Reset the grill for medium-low indirect heat (if using charcoal, move coals to the outside edges of the grill pit).
- Return the roast to the grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until the desired degree of doneness has been reached, about 1 1/2 hours for medium-well. Remove from the grill and cover with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving across the grain in thin slices to serve.
grilled tri-tip with oregon herb rub, Main Dish recipe