- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes (preferably San Marzano), crushed
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small pinch baking soda
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a saucepan; stir anchovy fillets into olive oil and cook, stirring often, until the fillets begin to sizzle, about 1 minute. Mix garlic into oil and cook just until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add fresh oregano and reduce heat to low; cook until oregano is wilted, 2 or 3 more minutes.
- Mix red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and tomatoes into olive oil mixture. Bring sauce to a simmer and season with salt, sugar, and black pepper. Turn heat to low; simmer sauce until thickened and oil rises to the top, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir baking soda into pizza sauce, mixing until thoroughly combined.
how to make homemade pizza sauce, Pizza Sauce recipe