- 1/2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, combine the celery, onion, carrot, ginger, garlic, and a few of the mushrooms. Add chicken stock, beef bouillon, and water. Place the pot over high heat, and bring to a rolling boil. When the mixture reaches boiling, cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Place all of the remaining mushrooms into a separate pot. When the boiling mixture is done, place a strainer over the pot with the mushrooms in it. Strain the cooked soup into the pot with the mushrooms. Discard strained materials.
- Serve the broth with mushrooms in small porcelain bowls, and sprinkle fresh chives over the top. Use Asian soup spoons for an elegant effect.
japanese onion soup, Onion Soup recipe