- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 (4 pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 8 gingersnap cookies, crushed
- Heat water, red wine, cider vinegar, lemon, 1/2 onion, garlic, cloves, bay leaves, white sugar, salt, juniper berries, and peppercorns in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Allow marinade to cool and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add beef roast, coat with marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator 2 to 3 days, turning the roast twice a day.
- Place onions, carrots, and celery in a slow cooker. Remove roast from marinade and place atop vegetables. Strain marinade and pour 2 1/2 cups over roast; reserve remaining marinade.
- Cover and cook roast on Low for 8 hours. Turn slow cooker off. Transfer roast to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil. Strain cooking liquid into a large bowl and return vegetables to slow cooker to rest.
- Heat about 3 cups cooking liquid and gingersnaps in a saucepan over medium-high heat, adding reserved marinade as needed, until gravy is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Slice roast and serve with vegetables and gravy.
kate's easy german sauerbraten, Roasts recipe