- 4 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- Place the kohlrabi and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan. Cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until kohlrabi can be pierced with a fork, but remains firm, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Place kohlrabi in a bowl, and cover.
- Place the butter into the same saucepan, and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and golden brown. Gradually whisk the milk and reserved cooking water from the kohlrabi into the flour mixture, stirring until thick and smooth. Stir in the cream, 1 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, white pepper, and parsley until well blended. Continue whisking until sauce thickens, then cook 10 minutes more. Stir in the kohlrabi, tossing to coat evenly with sauce.
kohlrabi with white sauce, Vegetables recipe