- 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the macaroni, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
- Pour the macaroni into a saucepan and place over medium heat; stir in the butter, bacon grease, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes with juice, and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Stir while cooking until butter and bacon grease has melted and incorporated completely, 5 to 10 minutes; remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit about 20 minutes before serving.
macaroni and tomatoes, Side Dish recipe