- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 (8 ounce) cans clams
- 2 (8 ounce) jars clam juice
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup cubed potatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) package white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, drain on paper towels, and crumble. Reserve. Drain clams, reserve juice.
- Cook and stir carrot, celery, and onion in bacon fat until onion is transparent.
- Stir in flour, cornstarch, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until mixture is bubbly. Add reserved clam liquor to clam juice to measure 3 1/2 cups; stir juice and milk into the vegetable mixture. Heat just to boiling, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
- Add clams, potatoes, and cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with reserved bacon, and garnish with chopped parsley.
marilyn's cheesy clam chowder, Clam Chowder recipe