- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, yeast, sugar, salt, black olives, olive oil, and water.
- Turn out dough onto a floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside, and let rise about 45 minutes, until it doubles in size. Punch down. Knead well again, for about 5 to 10 minutes. Let rise for about 30 minutes, until it doubles in size.
- Round the dough on kneading board. Place upside down in a bowl lined with a lint-free, well floured towel. Let rise until double in size.
- While the bread is rising for the third time, put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Gently turn loaf out onto a sheet pan that has been lightly oiled and dusted with cornmeal.
- Bake loaf at 500 degrees F (260 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake for 30 more minutes, or until done.
mediterranean black olive bread, Yeast Bread recipe