- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (4 pound) chicken, cut into parts
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2/3 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 8 cups water
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- file powder
- In a medium skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat. Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels to remove some of the fat. Discard fat in pan.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over high heat. Brown chicken pieces in hot oil. Turn frequently until golden brown on all sides. Transfer chicken to a dish, leaving oil in pan. Set chicken aside, but keep warm.
- Make a roux by whisking flour into the hot vegetable oil. Turn heat down to low. Continue cooking flour and oil mixture, stirring constantly, until it reaches a dark brown color. This may take 30 to 45 minutes; the darker the roux, the better the final gumbo.
- When the roux is a dark brown color, quickly add the sausage, onion, green onion tops, green pepper, parsley, and garlic. Cook over low heat until the vegetables are wilted, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 2 cups water and spices. Add chicken parts. Add rest of the water slowly. Bring mixture to a boil, and reduce heat. Simmer for about 45 minutes, until chicken is done and tender.
- Remove chicken pieces, and save for another use. Add shrimp to gumbo; cook for about 8 to 10 minutes more. Remove bay leaves. Taste, and adjust seasoning. Serve gumbo in deep bowls. Sprinkle file powder over individual servings, and stir in.
merwin's shrimp gumbo, Seafood recipe