- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/8 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 dash liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 dashes liquid smoke flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, oatmeal, cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt, sugar, egg, tomato juice, water, barbecue sauce, 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke and vinegar. Mix together thoroughly and place mixture into a lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and 2 drops liquid smoke and mix thoroughly. Spread over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for approximately one hour.
mom's best meatloaf, Beef Meatloaf recipe