- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ounce active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup candied citrus peel
- 1/2 cup candied cherries
- Scald milk. Add sugar, butter, and salt, and cool to lukewarm. Add 2 whole eggs, and 2 yolks. Mix.
- Add to 3 cups flour and yeast in food processor. Process and let rise until double.
- Add cardamom, raisins, citron, and cherries, and rest of flour. Process and put on floured board and knead. Let rise in greased bowl.
- When risen, cut into 3-4 pieces. Roll each into an oval, butter, and fold in half lengthwise. Put on greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise until double.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes.
- Remove to rack. When cool, frost with white butter frosting and decorate with candied cherry halves and sprinkle with colored sugar.
nana's christmas stollen, Yeast Bread recipe