- 8 eggs
- 2 (15 ounce) cans whole pickled beets, juice reserved
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 whole cloves
- Place eggs in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs sit in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, and peel.
- Place beets, onion, and peeled eggs in a non-reactive glass or plastic container. Set aside.
- In a medium-size, non-reactive saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup reserved beet juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and cloves. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour hot liquid over beets and eggs. Cover, and refrigerate 48 hours before using.
pennsylvania dutch pickled beets and eggs, Vegetables recipe