- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl until thoroughly mixed, and stir in the bananas, vanilla extract, and water to make a smooth, sticky dough.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). The oil should be deep enough to completely cover the panikekes while frying, or at last 3 inches deep.
- Scoop up a scant 1/4 cup of batter with a large spoon, and use another spoon to push it off into the oil. Fry in small batches of 4 or 5 until they float to the top and turn golden brown, about 3 minutes, then flip them to fry the other side. Remove from the fryer and let drain on paper towels.
samoan panikeke, Quick Bread recipe