- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked ham
- 1 cup finely chopped corned beef
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained and minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 quart oil for frying
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Stir in ham, corned beef and garlic. Cook mixture, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Stir in 6 tablespoons flour and cook mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in sauerkraut, parsley, and broth; cook for 3 minutes or until thickened and paste-like. Spread mixture on a platter and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and 2 1/2 cups flour. Shape the sauerkraut mixture by level teaspoons in to balls, dip them into the egg mixture and roll them in the bread crumbs.
- Fry balls in batches for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.
sauerkraut balls, Pork recipe