- 1 large, meaty ham hock
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package 15 bean mixture, soaked overnight
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the ham hock in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, and fill half way full with water. Set to High.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the bacon for a few minutes, then add onions, carrots, and cabbage. Cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder and garlic; cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, and add beans, tomatoes, and sage.
- Cover, and cook 2 hours on High. Reduce heat to Low, and cook for 6 to 7 hours, or until beans are tender. Transfer ham hock to a cutting board, remove meat from bone, and return meat to slow cooker. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
slow cooker fifteen bean soup, Beans and Peas recipe