- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 baby carrots, grated (optional)
- 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 3 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce (such as Sriracha®), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour, or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Mash black beans in a bowl; add onion, garlic, carrots, and green bell pepper. Mix.
- Whisk cornstarch, water, chile-garlic sauce, chili powder, cumin, seafood seasoning, salt, and black pepper together in a separate small bowl. Stir cornstarch mixture into black bean mixture.
- Mix whole-wheat bread into bean mixture. Stir flour, 1/4 cup at a time, into bean mixture until a sticky batter forms.
- Spoon 'burger-sized' mounds of batter onto the prepared baking sheet, about a 3/4-inch thickness per mound. Shape into burgers.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cooked in the center and crisp in the outside, about 10 minutes on each side.
vegan black bean burgers, Veggie recipe