- Prep Time: 2 h 25 m
- Calories: 148 kcal
/ Yeast Bread
/ Whole Grain Bread
/ Wheat Bread
- Dissolve brown sugar in 1 cup hot water. Add shortening, and stir to melt. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 4 cups warm water. Add white sugar, salt, and bread flour. Beat well. Stir in shortening mixture. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to make a stiff but not dry dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a large, well oiled bowl. Cover, and allow to rise until dough doubles in bulk.
- Divide dough into four equal parts. Shape into loaves. Place in greased, 9 x 5 inch pans, turning each loaf over in pan to grease top. Allow to rise until dough doubles in bulk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Let cool before slicing.
No Ratings Yet
You may also like