- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups uncooked basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons oil
- In a large non-stick pot over high heat, brown the ground beef until no pink shows. Stir in onion and jalapeno, and cook until tender. Season with curry powder. Stir in chicken broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, and stir in green beans. Cook for 15 minutes, or until beans are tender.
- Stir in rice, and cover pot. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until much of the liquid is absorbed. (Be careful not to overcook rice at this point or the dish will be mushy; the rice should be firm.) Remove entire contents to another container, and return pot to the stove.
- Heat oil in the bottom of pot over medium heat (make sure it is a non-stick pot.) Dump rice mixture back into pot. Wrap a clean dish towel around the inside of the pot's lid (the ends of the dish towel will be folded over the edges on top of the lid,) and put the lid on the pot. Cook for 35 minutes, without uncovering or stirring. Remove lid and place a tray on top of the pot, then carefully flip it over. The rice will hold the shape of pot with a nice crust on top called 'tah digh.'
lubia polo (green bean rice), Main Dish recipe