- 1 bunch fresh cilantro with roots
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 small red hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 (3 pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Cut cilantro roots off at the stem, and mince thoroughly. Set aside a few leaves for garnish. In a blender or food processor, combine cilantro roots and leaves, garlic, chile peppers, turmeric, curry powder, sugar, and salt. Process to a coarse paste. Pour in fish sauce, and blend until smooth.
- Place chicken in a large shallow dish. Rub with the cilantro paste. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and brush liberally with coconut milk. Grill chicken 8 to 15 minutes on each side, depending on the size of the pieces. Turn only once, and baste occasionally with coconut cream. Cook until browned and tender, and juices run clear.
barbequed thai style chicken, Main Dish recipe