- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups red beans
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package ditalini pasta
- In a large stock pot, saute onions, carrots, celery, garlic and ham in olive oil until onion is transparent.
- To stock pot add chicken broth, tomato juice, red beans, parsley, basil, red pepper, vinegar, sugar and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Fill a separate stock pot 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender and drain. Place desired amount of pasta into separate serving bowls and ladle soup on top.
pasta e fagioli, Ham Soup recipe