- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cubed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Remove casings from sausage. Brown sausage and cook until crumbly. Remove meat from pot. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Cook onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Add broth, water, wine, carrots, tomatoes, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and the cooked sausage. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Add zucchini, green peppers, parsley, and tortellini. Simmer another 25 minutes, covered, for fresh tortellini, or 45 minutes, covered, for frozen tortellini. Serve with fresh parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top.
tortellini soup, Vegetable Soup recipe