- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) cans minced clams, drained with juice reserved
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a blender, combine onion, garlic and enough water to make a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a large pot, combine potatoes, celery, salt, pepper, onion mixture and juice from clams. Augment with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, 20 minutes.
- Stir in half-and-half and sugar. Combine melted butter and flour, then whisk into soup. Cook and stir until thickened. Stir in clams and adjust seasonings.
clam chowder, Seafood recipe