- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup scalded milk, cooled
- 1/2 cup prepared mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a bowl. Let stand until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes.
- Mix milk, mashed potatoes, shortening, sugar, and salt together in a bowl; add yeast mixture and egg. Stir 2 cups flour into the milk mixture until incorporated. Stir in remaining 2 cups flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to coat all sides of dough with oil. Cover bowl and put in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and shape into a ball. Cover the bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Grease 2 baking sheets.
- Shape dough into 24 rolls and place onto prepared baking sheets; let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bake rolls in the preheated oven until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
potato rolls, Rolls and Buns recipe