- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 butter flavored cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in broccoli, mushrooms and green pepper, and cook 6 to 8 minutes more, or until pasta is al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in flour and milk; cook 5 minutes, or until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish combine pasta, vegetables, milk mixture and 4 tablespoons basil. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and remaining 1 tablespoon basil. Coat with butter flavored cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
vegetable pasta casserole, Pasta recipe