- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, half of the garlic, and carrot. Season with cumin and salt. Cook, stirring, until onion and carrot are tender. Stir in remaining garlic, and red pepper; continue cooking until tender.
- Add beans, water, and orange juice to the pan, and season with cayenne pepper. Transfer a portion of the mixture to a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. Puree part or all of the soup, depending on how you like the texture. Return puree to the pan, and simmer for 10 more minutes to blend flavors before serving.
brazilian black bean soup, Black Bean Soup recipe