- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cups grated butternut squash, packed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup garbanzo-fava bean flour (such as Bob's Red Mill®)
- 3 tablespoons corn flour (such as Bob's Red Mill®)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion; cook and stir until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place butternut squash in a large bowl, and season with curry powder, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper. Toss with a fork, then stir in the egg, garbanzo-fava bean flour, and corn flour. Mix in cooled onions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the butternut squash mixture into the pan. Flatten to a patty about 1/4-inch thick. Pan fry until crisp and browned, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining squash mixture.
- Top with sour cream and pumpkin seeds before serving.
butternut squash cakes, Squash recipe