- 24 pounds tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 16 jalapeno chile peppers
- 2 medium heads garlic
- 6 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 6 large onions, chopped
- 9 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Core and peel the tomatoes. Remove the tomato seeds and pulp. Put seeds and pulp through a food mill. Chop the outsides of the tomatoes
- In a large pot over low heat, boil the milled liquid and tomato paste for 1 hour, or until the liquid is reduced by 1/3.
- In a blender or food processor, puree cilantro, jalapeno, garlic and 1/2 cup of the tomato liquid from the large pot. Slowly stir this mixture into the pot.
- Bring the contents of the pot to a boil while mixing in the green peppers, onions, chopped tomatoes, salt, vinegar and brown sugar. In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot. Stirring continually, boil the mixture until all the vegetable are soft -- about 30 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool, and place it in sterile containers.
salsa ninety nine (mild), Tomato Salsa recipe